Tuesday, May 6, 2008

flores, cacti, y crossing the street

Once again, I must apologize for the lack of pictures on the other blog and this one... I am working on it... AH, how I love the connection here.

HOLA! Today was my second day of school… So good. We woke up this morning at 7:00 again. It was way way hard to get out of bed (even though we got a good 8 hours of sleep). We got all ready and went downstairs for some breakfast. This morning we had a bagel and yogurt. Fueron muy ricos. For homework we were supposed to ask our moms what Spanish words came from indigenous words. The maid at our house speaks an Aztec language (so cool) and Spanish… so we asked her for some help. She has a harder time understanding us, but oh well. It was interesting! We went to school on the bus again. I swear, crossing the street is like asking for your death. I took a video of it and try to upload it to my blog. I might not be able to because the internet is so slow here… but I will try. Here it is!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGzIFHJecQ
I will try to explain how dangerous running across the street truly is. It is like crossing a freeway. (there are no crosswalks, so no one can get all mad at me for not being safe) Anyways, the street that we need to cross is called Pablo Neruda. It is pretty big, but thank goodness there is a divider in the middle. Basically we just have to stand on the edge of the sidewalk and wait until the cars all pass on one side of the street. My favorite part is all the Mexicans that honk at the white girls… so good. Once we are standing on the divider, we have to wait for the next group of cars to drive past. Everyone goes so so fast. I mean, there is a speed limit… But I asked Esau why no one obeys any of the rules and he said that it is because no one sees any police. So I guess Mexicans driving are like Mckay… they don’t care unless a policeman is right there. So once we get to the other side of the street, we have to catch the bus. This is an interesting adventure as well… you have to stick your arm into the street. That seems kind of sketchy to me. You would think that if you stick it too far, you’d get hit. The lucky part of our situation is that we are girls. The buses always stop for the girls. What do I mean by that? The buses roll by the boys and open the doors and the boys have to JUMP ON! I’d be so so scared! Thank goodness I am not a boy… one of the many reasons. On that loving note, school was fun, we learned a song that we are singing for the international students next Tuesday. This is a picture of me right next to where I have my class each morning…

After school, we used the computers and then started walking to the bus. We noticed a botanical garden. It looked pretty dead to me… but I think everything was alive. It was mostly cool looking cacti. Here are some of the pictures…
This first one is of me smashing my fingers on the cactus.

The second is of me being skinny like the cactus.

After we went to the gas station right next to the bus stop… we wanted to see what things were the same. I bought a Hershey’s candy bar. It is called Chocolate con Leche. This candy bar melted pretty much the second I walked out of the gas station, not even joking. It was so so hot today. Anyways, we waited for the bus, and once we got on we decided to sit in the very back. We heard that was the most adventurous place because it is so bouncy and jerky. I would compare the ride to a wooden roller coaster at a state fair. Or maybe a country fair, I believe those are more ghetto. We got off the bus, and rested up for a bit. Then we had lunch. I have never heard of what we ate before… it was little patties of spinach and corn and cheese. It was interesting, but it was good. After lunch we went to introduce ourselves to the service administrators. It was really, really sad. I am serving los viejitos. They are so so cute. Most of them do not have families, and are really lonely. I walked in and they were all sitting there in a room and no one was talking. There was one older lady that had a baby doll and she was stroking it and cradling it and it was so cute. Then she started kissing it over and over again on the cheek and it literally broke my heart. I am really excited to work there, but it will be hard because my Spanish skills are lacking, especially in the Usted form. Ashley and I decided that it will be good as well because we can get a lot done before we go serve. We are going to go to the pool at the university for a couple of hours, and then we will go home for lunch. At four we go to our service center until five. Tonight we went to institute. SO much happened to us trying to get there! Fue mucho… drama mas o menos. Our mom told us to take 27A… but that was most definitely NOT the right bus. We drove for a bit… and after a while we just got off. A nice man helped us get on the right bus. Once we figured out which stop we should take, we got off again… an adventure costing us each ten pesos. We were walking again… and we ran into a man, a very interesting man, that was interested very much in us. We told him we didn’t have phones. He wanted our e-mails… and we told him we didn’t have e-mails. A little awkward, but I have absolutely no shame. There was another man selling flame throwers (I think…) in the street. It was pretty entertaining… he would demonstrate, and then walk around to all of the cars. We finally got to institute at about 7:50. Yes, fifty minutes late. Here is a picture of my frustrated look…

We made it just in time for closing prayer. But I am so glad we did, because after institute, we went to a restaurant and salsa dancing! The restaurant looked good… I had Agua de Horchata. It’s a cinnomany coconuty sugary deliciousness type of drink. Ashley once again experimented with the food and ate tacos made of cheek. Yes. Cheek. Like “Oh my gosh, I just bit my cheek.” Anyways, we talked and all in Spanish! Here is a picture of the people I was sitting by…

It was quite fun… After we went to another restaurant with a dance floor, and we danced salsa for a couple of hours. I learned a few moves… It was definitely fun.

No comments: